As a service provider, part of our job as marketers for ourselves is to build authority in our niche – to establish ourselves as the go-to expert. While most of our marketing, content creation, and branding works together to accomplish this, did you know that you can build your authority and grow your email list at the same time?
It’s true. Email marketing and growing an email list is one of the first recommendations that service providers receive. It’s a platform that’s less reliant on outside sources (like Instagram or Twitter) and establishes a more direct connection with your audience. With the hundreds of email marketing platforms online, email marketing is an easy tool to connect and communicate with your already warm leads.
How to Grow Your Email List as a Service Provider
Building your email list as a service provider relies on enticing your target audience with something they need and will provide some help in your area of expertise, commonly in the form of a lead magnet or freebie.
A lead magnet is a free resource that you create for your audience that explains how to do something that they then get access through in exchange for permission to communicate with them via email. Lead magnets can be in the form of checklists, guides, videos, etc.
The information provided in the lead magnet should be enough for a subscriber to take an actionable step, such as a quick self-assessment of your site’s SEO or learning the essentials of marketing on a specific social media platform. Some service providers provide free templates that their audience can utilize for their site, brand, or marketing.
5 Tips for Creating an Authority Building Lead Magnet
While any lead magnet or freebie that serves your audience is going to build your email list, there are a few things to consider when crafting a lead magnet that also builds authority. Building authority is based on your personal expertise and how you deliver that expertise in a form that your audience can learn from.
Try these five tips for creating an authority-building lead magnet:
- Do your research. Find out what your audience is looking for or an untapped potential in your niche so that you can easily become the go-to resource.
- Analyze your competitors. Don’t necessarily just look at what they’re doing, think about what you do and don’t like about their offer or process and how yours can stand out in comparison.
- Focus on your copy. While you won’t need to worry about SEO for your lead magnet, just the landing page, make sure that your copy is easy to read and follow.
- Design matters. Make sure your branding carries over to your lead magnet for a cohesive feel – this will improve brand authority AND awareness.
- Serve your audience. Create a lead magnet that really resonates with your audience and not one build just for subscribes. An authority-building lead magnet thrives on referrals from previous subscribers.
Not sure what type of lead magnet suits your audience or business best? Check out these easy lead magnets for service-based businesses.